Lyon County

Housing, food, employment, legal, veteran, addiction recovery and mental health resources available in the cities of Balaton, Cottonwood, Garvin, Ghent, Lynd, Marshall, Minneota, Russell, Taunton and Tracy Minnesota


Are You Homeless Or About To Become Homeless?

If You Are Fleeing Domestic Violence, Contact:

Women’s Rural Advocacy Program

If You Are Facing Foreclosure, Contact:

Southwest Minnesota Housing Partnership

All Others, Contact:

United Community Action Partnership

More County Resources:

Addiction Detoxification Assistance


Serving all those affected by domestic violence in Lincoln, Lyon, Redwood & Yellow Medicine Counties. ALL are welcome here. No matter the gender, race, economic status, sexual preference, or religious beliefs, WRAP is here to help.


818 Prentice St.
Granite Falls, MN

The focus of Western Mental Health Center is to work with clients to find balance between body, mind and spirit and supporting each individual to be the strongest and healthiest he or she can be.  Holistic care includes services such as outpatient therapy, medication management, substance use services, psychiatry, community programs, primary care and much more.


When your life, or the life of a loved one, is spiraling out of control, the phone can become the heaviest object on earth. In your heart you know it’s time to call for help. Since 1970, we’ve helped individuals and families in the midst of turmoil rediscover the miraculous joy of living free from addiction. You can call us anytime – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.


New Life Treatment Center delivers quality, professional treatment services, helping clients to break the power of chemical dependency and to lead healthy lives, free from alcohol and drugs. We seek to provide our clients and their families hope to find freedom from the devastating effects of addiction and mental illness.

Employment Assistance


202 North 1st Street

Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm

With over 50 CareerForce locations throughout the state, you’re sure to find one that fits your career development or talent matching needs. CareerForce is committed to helping:

  • Individuals start, advance or change their career
  • Employers attract, develop and retain talent, and
  • Minnesota thrive economically

As a collaborative group of private, public and nonprofit partners, we offer an impressive range of innovative services, including one-on-one guidance, training, networking, labor market information and much more. We are a rich resource for anyone, from any walk of life, at any career or recruitment stage.

Food Assistance


607 West Main St.
Suite 100
Marshall, MN 56258


Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm

Southwest Health and Human Services (SWHHS) is a multi-county agency committed to strengthening individuals, families, and communities by providing quality services in a respectful, caring and cost-effective manner.


  • Financial Assistance
  • Child Support
  • Licensing
  • Public Health
  • Social Services


1400 South Saratoga Street
Marshall, MN 56258

Mondays 12:30pm-4:30pm
Wednesdays 9:30am-4:30pm
Fridays 12:30pm-4:30pm

Our food shelves provide food to people in need and use the “client choice” system. People who visit the food shelf are able to choose the food that their family will use, and are given an amount of food based on their family size.

Legal Aid

Public Housing


819 10th Street
Worthington, MN 56187

Worthington HRA owns and manages a total of 136 Units of Public Housing in the City of Worthington. These units include one, two, three, and four bedroom apartments, houses, and duplexes. The sites include the Atrium Hi-Rise, Lucy Square Townhomes, and various scattered houses and duplexes located throughout Worthington. The Worthington HRA also owns and manages 64 units of Market Rate Housing in Worthington to include: “Prairie Acres” and “Rising Sun Estates”

  507-847-2632 x3106

United Community Action Partnership is a joint effort to bring together area resources to effectively and efficiently address the growing needs of our local communities in southwest Minnesota.


Welcome to beautiful Marshall, MN! Since 1970, the Public Housing Commission of the City of Marshall (PHCCM) has focused on meeting the housing needs of our low-income residents through HUD, the federally assisted housing program. We believe that when housing is within reach of all citizens, everyone benefits.

Everyone deserves access to affordable housing options therefore, we do not discriminate. Housing availability is not based on age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or familial status, but is centered on income eligibility.


Housing owned and operated by a local government entity, such as a Public Housing Agency or a Housing Authority, which provides low-rent affordable housing to households with low incomes who are eligible

The rental amount paid by the resident is often determined based on the resident’s income. Some housing has a low, fixed rent amount. Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from scattered single family houses to high-rise apartments. Some housing may be restricted to specific populations, such as older adults, families, or people with disabilities.

Public housing is for low-income households.

Your eligibility is based on:

  • Annual gross income
  • Whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability or as a family
  • U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status

If you are eligible, the Housing Authority will check your references to make sure you and your family will be good tenants. A Housing Authority may deny admission to any applicant whose habits and practices may be expected to have a harmful effect on other tenants or on the project’s environment.

You must meet income guidelines. Income limits are set by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Income guidelines can be found on the HUD website. Check with the property management for specific income limits.

HUD sets the upper income limits at 80% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which you choose to live. Some housing is limited to people with very low income (50% of median income). Income limits vary from area to area so you may be eligible at one Housing Authority but not at another. The amount is adjusted each year and is based on family size.

Veteran Assistance


Veterans Service Officer:
Heidi Fier

607 West Main Street
Marshall, MN 56258

Monday through Friday
8:30 am to 4:30 pm

Are you experiencing an emotional or mental health issue?

Call 1 (800) 273-TALK (8255), Option 1 to speak with a 24/7 crisis counselor, or text 838255.  Secure chat is also available at the Veterans Crisis Line website. You may also call the VA Vet Center at (651) 644-4022 during normal business hours to speak with a professional veteran’s counselor and to arrange an individual counseling session in-person or in a group setting with other veterans.

Am I a Veteran? Watch this brief video for an explanation of the term “veteran” under state and federal law.